Holy blue ribbon cow crap, we’re just a week away from the 2016 Wisconsin State Fair! The wind is changing, the skies are bluer, and my hands are shaking with excitement – the deep fried summer solstice of food season is finally upon us. (Note: for those not familiar, food season is actually a full 12 months long and is celebrated each year with an 11 day festival known as the Wisconsin State Fair.)
My thoughts on the approach of the fair and all it has to offer are best described by the opening line of R Kelly’s 1994 hit song Bump n’ Grind:
My mind is, in fact, telling me no; binge eating fair food is a terrible idea for my waistline, cholesterol levels, my ability to sit upright after a day at the fair and probably my overall long term health. But my body, my body is definitely telling me yes. Yes to eating until I can’t eat anymore, until I can barely walk back to the car, until I bite into that wood stick in the center of whatever delightful food surrounds it.
And the best place to start things off is with the new food list.
My top 5 new targets this year are as follows:
- Mac Bottom Pizza: Deep-fried, homemade mac n’ cheese bottomed pizza – completely crustless! Topped with homemade pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni and sausage. At Brew City. No commentary needed on this one – its goodness should be self explanatory.
- Deep-Fried Corn on the Cob: Beer-battered, deep-fried corn on the cob is served on-a-stick. Choice of seven different seasonings. At Adeline’s Corn. Corn on the cob is a rare state fair classic that isn’t deep fried. BUT THAT DOESN’T MEAN IT SHOULD’T BE! Kudos to this idea.
- SPAM Curds: Diced SPAM with cheese that has been breaded and deep fried to a golden brown and served with ranch dressing. At SPAM. There are several things at work here – good things. One, Spam is popular in Hawaii, Hawaii is awesome, therefore Spam is great; I believe this is called the transitive property of equality – it’s math and/or logic so it must be true. B., one of the best free (or paid for that matter) museums I’ve ever been to is the Spam Museum in Austin, MN – it might be the best thing about MN. And thirdly. this just fits the bill as something that belongs inside of me.
- Deep-Fried Bread Pudding Bites On-a-Stick: Homemade, old world bread pudding rolled in a vanilla custard batter, deep fried and dusted with powdered sugar. Served on a stick with a side of our smoked sea salt caramel dipping sauce. At Saz’s Ribs. I used to think Bread Pudding was gross – soggy bread, bleh – but it’s actually really tasty and obviously deep frying it could only make it better.
- Beercicles: Homemade PBR beer popsicles available in flavors such as Citrus Shandy, Pabst Blue Raspberry and Not Your Father’s Root Beer Floatcicle. At Slim’s PBR Park. Sometimes you need to cool off at the fair, and this seems like an excellent way to do that. Plus, PBR!
This list is just the start. Hoping for good weather and short lines! See you next week.