It’s Wisconsin State Fair Eve and that means it’s time for the family to get ready for opening day tomorrow. Here’s my mental checklist:
- Lead-up diet: The plan is to eat less and healthier the week leading up to the fair but not to overdo it. Why not? Well, if your stomach shrinks too much leading up to the fair then it would be hard to indulge in as much food as possible whilst there. Also, if you cut out all unhealthy food ahead of time then you run the risk of going into fair food shock.
- Attire: This one is important for multiple reasons including comfort and splil camoflauge. Fair food is messy and unpredictable (it ends up on my clothes). So light colors are out. But, it’s August and it’s hot so dark colors are out too (I can’t eat as much when I’m sweating out the milk as fast as I’m drinking it). So, the optimal colors are somewhere between cheddar and chocolate. Extra pockets and lightweight material are good too.
- Shoes: Comfortable for all the time spent on your feet but old enough to not worry about stepping in a “landmine” left by one of the barnyard attractions.
- Root Beer Barrel Mug: We pack this big gup every year to get refilled at the Root Beer Barrel stands scattered throughout the fair. It’s economical, environmentally friendly, and holds enough sugary soft drink to temporarily turn you into Wilford Brimley.
- Sleep: It’s time to rest up for the fair. Goodnight!