And I just can’t hide it. It’s almost that time of year again. Yes, Wisconsin State Fair time. With less than 9 days to go, the excitement is palpable. It’s like Christmas – but with less Jesus and more cheeses. And nothing gets me excited like the list of the new foods to be had. There are 57 of them this year but I’m just going to list the top 5 on my “must eat” list – in no particular order:
- Deluxe Deep Fried Bacon Wrapped Cheddar Hot Dog On-a-Stick: This one has some depth – it takes a whole 11 words to describe it! It will take me just minutes to eat it.
- Sweet Chimi-Nutella (Banana, Nutella, Cinnamon, Pecans and Powdered Sugar wrapped in a Flour Tortilla) –The Mexican influenced Chimichanga and Italian origin Nutella combine for this multi-cultural treat! I’m calling this deep fried delight my heart healthy choice because it has cinnamon, fruit, and nuts.
- Cookie Dough Cone or Sundae (Layers of Cookie Dough, Chocolate Sauce and Vanilla Soft Serve): There are three new cookie dough dishes on the list this year but this one stood out for adding the soft serve – a good call for this hot summer.
- Deep Fried Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potato Tots On-a-Stick: A hat trick! Deep fried (of course), bacon (still of course), and sweet potato. Finally, this trendy little root gets fairified!
- Pork Donut (Sugared Bismark Stuffed with BBQ Pork): I can see the people turning up their noses at this unholy marriage of meat and pastry. Not me. I can already taste these two flavors working together to tickle my taste buds.
There are plenty more that I want to try (and probably will). And as always, I’m looking forward to washing it all down with MKE Brewing Co’s Cream Puff Ale (quite possibly the best beer ever) and some of the new offerings from The Micro. Of course I’ll also be drinking plenty of good old Herb’s Superb Milk.
Stay tuned for all the food reviews and other fun at the fair because I’m about to lose control and I think I like it.